- Headache behind eyes
- Muscle and joint pain “breakbone fever”
- Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Followed by major fatigue.
How is it spread?
The infamous Aedes mosquito bite. In a previous blog post we described Chikungunya virus, the causative agent of Chikungunya fever. These 2 infections are carried by the same mosquito vector and look very similar.
Just came back from vacation with mosquito bites. How long till I can rest easy?
Incubation period is 4-14 days.
What’s the worst that can happen?
- Bleeding can be severe.
- Leaky blood vessels 3-7 days later just after fever breaks. Can lead to shock.
I think I am immune since I had Dengue before?
While unpleasant the first time you get it, it may be much more dangerous if you are reinfected.
How is it diagnosed?
- Initially based on symptoms
- Blood testing for antibodies
- Virus detection – Blood sent to the CDC for DNA studies
Aloha, and don’t forget your mosquito repellent.